Friday, July 15, 2011

My Life Through Harry Potter

After a short break from posting, I am back with a full account of a historic night (for at least the fans of Harry Potter)!  Last night was the opening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2; the FINAL installment of the Harry Potter Series. There are those people that argue it's importance, or why people make such a big deal about it, but if you read on you will understand why it meant so much to my friends and I.

12 years ago, as a freshman in high school, I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  I started late in the series but immediately feel in love.  From there Nathan and I were at every midnight release of the books.  These releases took us from our hometown of Madisonville, to the bookshelves of Murray, and even to a small community in Michigan; each opening having another memory.

Then 11 years ago, in 2000, the first movie was released.  A group of friends and I dressed up as characters and headed to Evansville for it's premiere.  It was such an experience, but at the time hadn't really built the emotional side of the story behind it.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

After that movie, we went to every midnight showing.  Mostly with the same friends, but as time went on adding different people and more memories.  From introducing Jelly Bellies to each movie, or when Nathan's Family brought purses full of drinks and fruit.  By the time the 5th movie had its premiere, the 7th book had been released and most of us fans had developed an LARGE emotional attachments to these books.

I think many of us began to realize that they weren't just books, but they were a large part of our childhood/teenage memories; Harry, Ron, and Hermione feeling like our own friends.  These books and movies took up just a touch less than half of our lives, and as the eighth and last movie came to it's opening, we all began to get excited but sad at the same time. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

As 8:15 rolled around yesterday (July 14, 2011), Nathan and I arrived at the theatre to get in line for our seats and were still not the first ones there.  Time passed and many characters came in, Umbridge, Dobby, The Golden Snitch, Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, Snape, and even Professor Twelany.  At around 11:00, Addisson and Miranda arrived to watch the movie with us.  At midnight, after a 11 years of waiting, the final installment to the Harry Potter series began to a loud round of applause, and within seconds we were pulled back in to what only our imaginations had conjured up for this ending.

 Addisson and Miranda at the HP7 Part 2 opening
Nathan and I at the HP7 Part 2 opening

It seemed as though everything was how I had pictured it to be, even to the very end when the epilogue rolled up and the John Williams music began to play again.  It seemed as though the theatre was silently realizing this was the end as the sniffs grew a bit stronger.  As the train began to move away from 9 3/4 platform, I felt that a large piece of my imagination and memory was heading off.  It really was a huge part of this generation, and something that we will be able to hold dear to our hearts as "ours".

Knowing that there are no more books or movies to look forward to is hard, but also knowing that everytime I re-watch a movie or reread a book comforts me, not just for the story, but of the hundreds of memories that come along with each part.  From cold openings outside in Murray, to hot crowded openings in Evansville it will truly always hold a place in my heart.  Thank you Harry Potter for 12 years of magic and memories, I hope that everyone holds them as dear to their heart as I do!

Until next time, keep enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment